Rhetorical Analysis

Muha’s Rhetorical Analysis for a vintage advertisement of Van Heusen

Note taking for 3 components of persuasive writing.

Peer reviews from Mohammad and Rosalio.

Analyzing the vintage Van Heusen shirt advertisement, which utilized racist imagery, was a profound exercise in developing my rhetorical sensibility. I navigated the linguistic nuances hidden in the advertisement, recognizing how language and imagery were employed to evoke specific cultural and social connotations. This process enabled me to understand the power dynamics at play and critically assess the advertisement’s persuasive strategies.

Through repetitive reading, drafting, revising, and editing, I practiced my ability to deconstruct complex rhetorical devices and their implications. This analytical approach not only deepened my comprehension of rhetorical strategies but also enhanced my capacity for self-assessment, ensuring my analysis remained focused and impactful. By formulating a clear stance, I engaged critically with the ethical dimensions of advertising practices and asserted the importance of ethical integrity in persuasive communication.

Overall, this rhetorical analysis challenged me to confront uncomfortable truths while refining my analytical skills and ethical awareness in communication.